Sunday, December 2, 2012

house tour: living room (christmas edition)

There's something about decorating for Christmas that brings out the best in my home... the lights cast an incomparable glow on just about everything... In fact, I don't think I am going to even try to capture with words how pretty the tree looks with all of its ornaments and pretty lights or how much I think about trying to find reasons to keep my lights up all year (and those that know me know that I have a few strands throughout the house all the time). 

This time last year, we were packing up our house running from a foreclosure that ended up not happening, but we didn't have really any time to enjoy the Christmas season because we moved into this condo on December 23rd. This year I am savoring it as much as I can, allowing myself to really feel it all and try to focus on what the season is really all about, instead of allowing the creeping bah humbugs in. So far, so good. 

Anyway, since the living room looks so pretty, I thought I'd share some photos with you all as well as some of my favorite ornaments on the tree. 


the large throw pillows are made from embroidery on Guatemalan dresses and the other pillows are from two different estate sales




photos above the mantle are from a variety of sources - mostly thrifted, estate sales or photographs taken by either me or my cousin Laura, or original art by me

all of the pine cones were picked out of my parents' yard, painted and glittered by my kids and wired onto the garland.. I will share more on that in another post!

more pinecones we painted and glittered....
 Just a few ornaments I love...
Here are the special ornaments I have for each child's first Christmas :)

I have tons of birds on my tree... this one is so pretty with her plummage.

This is a Waterford crystal ornament given me by some neighbors when I lived in my apartment in downtown Atlanta (Buckhead for you folks who would know where that is). All of the beads are from them too. In fact one night, they just showed up at my door, with this ornament, the beads and a gingerbread house and a cocktail, decorated my tree and invited me down for soup. They were the best neighbors ever. Loved those guys so much!

This one is so pretty. This was a gift from someone I worked with at my old corporate job. I have always thought it was lovely. It always goes at the top of the tree.

Here are some of the ornaments that Shiloh made. I will share more about that in another post! Treasures.

I've had this one and a couple others that are like this but a different color now for about 13 years (my first Christmas in my first apartment living away from my folks - not a great year of my life but I splurged and bought ornaments) and I love them. I have lots of sparkly, cool ornaments from this time of my life and even though I was making a lot of bad choices then, am glad I have them at least as a memory of something good.

Two more birdies - one peacock and one new one - an owl I picked up at Hobby Lobby this year. 


In case you were wondering - which you probably aren't, but just in case, the bookshelf is Ikea (Expedit series), the wood frame chair is vintage and on "loan" from a friend, the couch is Ikea (Ektorp) as well.

And that's it! Hope you like :) Merry Christmas!

Love, Brooke

8 comments:

  1. Looking good!

    I love, love that chair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome and I've been meaning to cover the cushions. I have green corduroy to do it just haven't gotten around to it.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Brooke! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see you either Sarah and hear all about your trip!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! Merry Christmas!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love! Merry Christmas to you too!!

      Delete
  4. Your living room is cozy as can be :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your responses and feedback! ;o)