Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fall Fun with the Hammels! a Followers Fest Post :)

Hey friends! Well, today (October 28th) is the Followers Fest, hosted by the lovely Jess Gatlyn of Boho Baby Bump, Casey Wiegand from Casey Leigh, Illy from Much Love Illy and Danielle from Changing Lanes.

Today we celebrate all things fall, Halloween, whatevs, together on this super neato blog hop that I just happen to be participating in!

If this is your first time ever visiting my blog, WELCOME! I am SO glad you're here! I hope you'll be inspired and stay awhile. We are on a super crazy journey at the moment (well, always), and would love to have you along. 


If you'd like to learn more about me, you can go here. Or if you want to meet my family, head over here. Make yourself comfortable and stay awhile!

Sooo.... on to this "Fall Fun" with the Hammels :)...

Right now, we are seriously limited on fundage, so when this Follower's Fest event snuck up on me, I began brainstorming as to what kind of craft I might be able to put together for the kids, along with some yummy snacks. I needed to keep it simple, because 1) we don't have the money for me to go to the craft store (and I should stay away as much as possible :)  and 2) the only "available" crafter for the afternoon was my three year old daughter... sooo... I stumbled across this fabulous and simple craft, for which I had all the required supplies...

Actually, I had to go digging through the recycle bins to find old spaghetti jars... but I reckon that's even better! Instead of recycling these jars, we repurposed them. And what's more, if we decide to we can always wash the paint off and use the jars for something else. Even better, right? I do love me some glass jars. :)

So, we made JAR O' LANTERNS! :) Here's how!

Supplies:
glass jars
orange paint
masking tape
scissors
tea lights or battery powered tea lights
newspaper
paint brushes

1) Get pretty much ANY glass jar together. We used old spaghetti jars destined for the recycle center.


2) Cut out shapes (eyes, nose, mouth) out of masking tape and apply to the jar. Be creative! And press down so paint doesn't seep underneath (learned the hard way).


3) Get your special helper and have them apply paint to each jar. My daughter LOVED this. I can't tell you how many times she thanked me for letting her do a craft. Made me realize I don't do this enough with her. She is so precious... could paint for hours. She mixed it up from plain old orange to blue and black too. :) It was lots of fun! She painted four of the five jars.





4) Allow the paint to dry. Once dry, peel back the masking tape to reveal the face you created!

5) Drop tea lights down into the jars and enjoy your beautiful creations! One thing I like about these is you can see the different thicknesses of the paint as it was applied, which I think makes it more interesting.




After our dinner, we set a fire in the chiminea and had s'mores outside on the back desk with the kids.










The kids stayed up a bit later than usual to do the s'mores, so they weren't told about the Nutella hot chocolate (inspired from a pic I saw on Pinterest) that I had planned to make. After they were tucked snuggly into their beds, I tried my hand at my first cup of this incredible and delicious (and RICH) delight. Can I just say, YUM!?

Here's how I made it...


I took a 10 oz mug of whole milk, warmed it to very hot on the stove, and dropped 3 rounded teaspoons of Nutella into it...


Whisk it all up until blended...

And voila!



I added some whipped cream and a shot of rum... and man, it was good. Drink slowly though. And I might add, this is NOT low calorie, so be advised!

Finally, I wanted to add a little picture of the simple and easy table centerpiece that I put together for our home. I picked up a $3 bundle of wheat, and a few gourds and mini pumpkins on sale at Publix. I put the wheat into a tall, square vase, and sat it on a large round plate, and arranged the pumpkins and gourds around  it. I kinda think it's pretty! Simple, easy, affordable, and pretty. :) I hope you think so, too.


Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you'll come back soon!

Much love,

Brooke

16 comments:

  1. Great pics! I'm a new follower from followers fest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! So glad to have you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute idea! And love all your pictures. Stopping by from followers fest, already a follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute idea! My little guy LOVES to paint! Thank you for the inspiration! We will be doing this craft this afternoon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I found your blog through the Follower Fest going on at Casey's. I'm now a follower of your blog too. I love your family pic and those jar-o-lanterns are adorable!!!

    Digger ~xoxo~
    www.digdeeperdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS IS SO GREAT!
    I love little art projects like this that use mason jars. I've been keeping all the ones we use with pasta to wait to use them and this is a great idea!

    Thanks for sharing.
    Linking up with follow fest!
    xx new follower!
    Simply, Melissa Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heeey Digger! I just ventured over to your blog and you and I sound like we have a lot in common!! Curious to know where you are in the South - I am in the Atlanta area, and I "grew up" in Colorado. :) Thanks for following me! I am now following you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mallorie & Debbie - thank you so much :) I find painting so soothing, no wonder our little ones do too.

    Much love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just saying Hi from Style Outside the Box! We would love to do a link swap with you! :) New Follower from Oct Fest! :) Come say HI at http://www.styleoutsidethebox.blogspot.com/

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, I LOVE that craft and totally doing it this week with my boy. We might have to make it more fall and less halloween, since I know I won't get to it before Monday :)

    Thanks for stopping by today, I am a new follower of yours, too. Love love LOVE the name of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you Carina :) So glad to have you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, i love the jack o lantern jars! such a great idea! i'm going into elementary ed, and that would be a great idea for kids@ love it! thanks for following, i've checked out your blog and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a pretty family, i'm stopping by from follower fest and would love for you to stop by and check out the huge giveaway going on at my place- http://thelovelypoppy.blogspot.com/2011/10/blog-follower-giveaway.html xoxo nicole

    ReplyDelete
  14. CUTE idea! And um I'm a nutella addict - I've actually blogged a whole rant about it :) love, from follower fest! http://myabrucedesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. i am over from the follow fest and am a new follower, i love your blog. everything about it. and your family is precious. i have a degree in special education so you naturally have a special place in my heart with your son having aspergers. my husbands brother has aspergers as well, he is 16 and does great! glad i found you...and i love love love your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those jars are fantastic! I'm going to have to save this idea for when my "little helper" is a little older. The hot chocolate looks really yummy (especially with the mention of whipped cream!)
    New follower from Follower fest.
    http://shrinkingmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your responses and feedback! ;o)