Friday, July 13, 2012

"my Lord God, I have no idea where I am going..."

“MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going.

I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.” 
Thomas Merton



This morning, I called my Dad. He and my step mom are in town for a few weeks, and are nearing the end of their stay. I called to try to make arrangements for a visit, and although I shouldn't be surprised, our conversation led into something much deeper and more spiritual, where my Dad once again was hearing me pour out my heart, talk about all that is going on in my life, and once again, he was ministering to me. We always seem to end up talking for a long time when I call, and it always seems to be about the Lord and all that I think he is trying to teach me in this season we're in. I am so thankful for that. I need that in my life.

So often I am treading water, in this "I think I can" and "I think I know" and "This must be the way" sort of mentality... trying to figure God out and what the next step is. We have been in this season for a long time. We have been living financially by the seat of our pants, and though we weathered the initial months (years, really) with less worry and stress, sometime around the time that I started this blog things really began to intensify. The stresses of having zero income or very unpredictable income, the stress of almost losing our house and having to scramble to prepare a place to live, and move into two days before Christmas, the stresses of unpredictable income sources, applying for and keeping up with government benefits and adjusting to them going away, fearing family members scrutinizing our every move (meaning well, of course), moving kids from one school to another, and the list goes on... it is fair to say that these things wear heavily on your soul until basically one day you crack... you start taking things out on each other - could we be doing more? What are we doing wrong? We don't want to look like fools to our families. We don't want to seem irresponsible. How do we justify this? How do we make this happen? How do we explain ourselves? Wanting to live life and being constrained and unable to do so... so many variables that I cannot even name that all revolve around money and the lack of it... The appearance of doing nothing when we know how hard we are working... it's all so much... too much.

At the beginning of May, Jason and I decided that we were going to go all out no matter what the cost. I was going to get a job. He was going to find work wherever he could find it. He was going to work on the commission based work however hard and long he was able. By God, we were going to get the heck out of this financial rut. We were going to get our budget together and get back on Dave Ramsey's plan, finish paying off our debt, get on a savings plan, and a plan to get into our own place again and give Jason's mom her beautiful condo back (for which we have been so blessed to live in). In the month of May we both worked every day. We had a groove going. It was great. There were paychecks every week. The bills were paid. We went out to eat a little and I was able to buy Dakota some shoes/clothes he so desperately needed. It felt good. By the end of May I felt like there was some consistency there and we were able to sit down and put together our budget. I spent all day working not only on our budget, but on the debt snowball and predicted how much we could have saved at conservative incomes for both of us by this time next year. It was awesome. I felt like we had a goal and finally we were on the road to being into the next phase of our lives.

Then, right on time, the rug gets pulled out from under us. 

Jason is informed by his boss that he is leaving the company he was working for. Oh and by the way, the company doesn't want to pay you as a subcontractor anymore. You can become an employee but at a much lower rate... HEY! No problem, we'll take it. Whatever it is. We don't care. It's income. But you'll have to talk to the owner to make that happen. Guess what? Owner is out of town for weeks. Can't get in touch with him. No work = no income. 

It's like, as soon as I started trusting in the paycheck to provide, the paycheck goes away.

So, I get it God. You don't want me trusting in the paycheck. You want me trusting in You to provide. You are the paycheck. You are the source. You are the provider of work and the taker-awayer of work. I get it. I get that I need to stop trusting in my own efforts to provide for myself and trust in you. 

But this is that hardest thing. The hardest. I feel broken. I feel lost. I feel like I don't understand what he wants with me. Then the questions come as the weeks drag on... as the reality that when the car insurance hits we may go into overdraft and the little money we have will go to paying fees to the bank...

What do you want, Daddy? What do you want me to learn? I will do whatever you want. Do you want me to learn the lessons from not managing my money correctly? Okay. I will be diligent and disciplined. I will accept the consequences of my mistakes humbly. I will suck it up and keep moving forward. I will try to do better. I will give freely. Does it take me demonstrating this good stewardship for us to get out of this place? Is that what you want, so that when there's more, we'll have it? 

Do you want me completely dependent on you? 

Crossing the line from dependence on myself in any way and complete, ruthless trust and dependence on God is something I am realizing is part of becoming like Christ. All throughout on John 14 Jesus painstakingly and with great frustration tries to explain that he did nothing outside of the Father... every step, every moment, every breath he was a conduit for the Father. If we are to become like Jesus, then that means we have to do this too! In America where self-sufficiency, self-EVERYTHING is glorified, having things and money and success are all elevated, for us Christ-followers to understand that we literally have been called to lay down EVERYTHING for the sake of the Gospel, that means EVERYTHING... to sell all of our possession... he wants me to have open hands... free to receive and free to give away... I get that in my head, but oh this painful transition to my heart... I really believe that he is keeping us in this place until we throw up our hands and give up so much trying, and just allow him to massage and work in our hearts all that he wants to do... we are with the ebb and flow of his working in our lives, focused on him, not the criticisms and judgments of others, not the struggles and pain and consequences we face... but on Him, his love that is outside of time and space, how he feels about us and how he wants us to be conduits for this same love to others. There is just so much.... so much.

So today, on the phone with my Dad, as I did a few days earlier talking with my husband, I just found myself in tears. I wasn't feeling particularly emotional up front about all that I was telling him about... but somehow there is a well in me that has broken open, and I am freely grieving this transition unto complete dependence. I am throwing my hands up. I don't understand anymore and I don't know if I can ever figure it out... Dad shared the Thomas Merton quote with me above. He and my step-mom are in a similar place, and this resonated with him, and as he shared it with me, I feel the dam break open again. Yes, this is my heart. My prayer. 

Like floating on your back in the ocean... you hear the greatness of the ocean, see the great expanse of the sky... the waves will take you wherever they may... all you have to do is relax and trust. Trust that you'll stay afloat. That the direction it takes you is to shore, and you'll be safe...

I have no idea where I am going. I have no idea what tomorrow holds for us. I have $7 to my name right now. On paper, we have nothing. But my Daddy is the keeper of the cattle on a thousand hills. And that is all I need to know. 

12 comments:

  1. Wow, Brooke. This is very intense.

    I am so sorry that you are going through this, you and your family. It must be so terribly frustrating, to think there's a plan, and then there isn't.

    You are so brave, to keep finding meaning, to keep pressing on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This resonated with me so so much. As I've said before - we are in a very similar place and sometimes it feels like every day is just a matter of avoiding a breakdown, a crisis, an unexpected expense that can't be paid, an argument - fear. That's what it keeps coming down to for me, is fear. It is tiresome.

    And honestly, I've come to see that even the best budgeting can't account for everything that is out of my control. I think we're made to believe that if we were doing it right, we wouldn't be in these situations, so on top of fear, we have this guilt that we aren't doing "good enough" with what we have. But what if we are? What if the best we can do sometimes bounces a check? What if that is just the best we've got? What if that is fine? It is through our imperfections that the perfectness of God is revealed to us.

    I hear the little voice in my heart tell me that it's not concerned very much at all with my bank account in the way I may think it is. And yes, it wants me to use my resources wisely, but not all resources are money. It tells me that I can love and worship God or I can love and worship money. But loving one means I'll hate the other. This is when it's so hard to live in the world, but have your heart taken by someone/something out of this world - above and beyond it. It's so hard, in real life day to day to implement this faith, this trust, this grateful joy, this belief.

    And somehow, despite all the ways I've been provided for and delivered, despite all the blessings right in front of me this very second, I can feel fear. I can remember those few times where it seemed everything fell apart and even though it came back together,usually better than it was - I fear it all crumbling down again. Even if it would get better, I fear I can't handle even one more tiny little crumble at this moment. That fear. It's the fear that wears you out.

    I am believing for you and your family, and that makes me believe for me and my family, so thank you for sharing, because it's easier sometimes to have faith for someone else, outside of yourself. And then you see if you can do that, you can believe for yourself too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca... I cannot express enough how much of a comfort it brings me to know that I am not alone. Everything you've said has pricked my heart. You say in another way all that I am feeling and experiencing. I am tired of trying to be positive. I am not feeling positive. I am feeling afraid and alone, and you are exactly right... we are stretched so thin I just don't think we can take any more crumpling... My heart is with you sweet lady and close to you in your struggle. Consider this a big hug from me from across the miles. Let's pray for each other as we go through this trial and know that through it all, our God is sooo good. And let's try to encourage each other in that. <3

      Delete
  3. i am going through the same journey, brooke. you are not alone. i am up at 4:52am - can't sleep. came to your blog, and reading your words encourages me because i know that God is teaching us both to be dependent on HIM as our provider. i found this amazing song just a few minutes ago - its really speaking to me right now! i think it'll bless you too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgFa7bLEFqw&feature=related praying for you, lora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha just listening now - the title is totally God because a lady yesterday at church wrapped her arms around me and said "it's gonna be alright" over and over again... listening now. Thank you for sharing your heart. <3

      Delete
  4. I feel for certain the Lord has put you in my life for a reason. I can relate to where you are in the deepest of ways. My husband and I have cried out these very words, especially lately. Constantly living on the edge, just wanting to learn what He wants and honor Him in everything. I feel like I could sit and talk with you for hours. I would drive up for a trip just to hang out, just need to be not so on the edge, which is not right now for us. I wish I could help you financially, even something small, but we are in the very same position, learning the same things. Hopefully not for very long. Just continuing to pray for guidance and provision in a very real way. The very changes I have felt inside are from the Lord, undeniably, I can see these same things in the words that you write. Just keep going, He will provide.
    Love, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, I feel the exact same way. I have thought to myself that we seem to be cut from the same cloth and it would totally be worth it to try to hang out sometime. I truly feel the same. You know what? Man, I realize that the Lord has given me the deep connection with him in worship that I have to connect my heart to him and remember how much he loves me and how much I love him and that he is for me and not against me. Read Exodus 14:14. DUDE!!!! That is what HE promised us. We just have to remember that sometimes our striving in our flesh is part of his discipline to bring us to the end of ourselves so that we throw our hands up in surrender.

      God is so good. He is good all the time. The journey is worth it. Thinking of you and love you my sister.

      Delete
  5. I read this today:

    "So in the present case I tell you, keep away from these men and let them alone, for if this plan or this undertaking is of man, it will fail; but if it's of God, you will not be able to overthrow them. You might even be found opposing God..." -Acts 5:38-39

    When I read this, it just is so reassuring to me... God's plans for us cannot be overthrown. Man's plans will fail. We are in the cusp of His hand; financially, emotionally, spiritually, and physically. Money stresses me out more than anything. And we are in a season of transition and financial concerns. But it doesn't stress God out.

    Praying and love!

    -Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you little bird! He holds you in his hands like a precious little one- sees every tear, every heartache...I pray He will come to your aid..and fill every jar to over-flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice blog, wuold you like to follow each other?
    Kisses

    In The Checkout Line

    In The Checkout Line

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your responses and feedback! ;o)