Right now I am sitting at the dining room table in the increasing quiet of my home while my husband is out running an errand and my little ones are drifting off to sleep.
This kind of moment... where I am able to actually sit and write... has been very few and far between in the last few weeks. I am feeling more settled and able to think, and as I reflect on the last few months and all the chaos therein, and the year ahead, I've given some thought to some "things" I want to do more of, or less of in this coming year.
Of course I have hopes and aspirations for our family and where we might be twelve months from now. As far as our financial situation is concerned, we are in a position to truly grow and move forward now that we don't have rent or mortgage hanging over our heads, and less bills overall to pay. We need income though, and I plan to start looking for part time work in the coming week. Jason will be back to doing his insurance gig very soon I hope, though that doesn't actually pay until he lands a sale. I don't think a lot about money right now... it's too painful really. But I do HOPE that things are better this time next year. That's about all the thought I can give that weighty subject at this very moment.
There are a few things that have been heavy on my heart in terms of very basic things I need to prioritize in my life, OUR lives (as the mama of this household) in the coming year. With the craziness of the move and everything being out of sorts, I have been doing less cooking and watching what my kids are eating and what my family is eating. So, aspiration number one is to get back on track with our diet. Dakota has been off his gluten free diet since he went on his trip to Puerto Rico in November. He needs to be back on it. I plan to make that happen. Better meal planning, a little more time in the kitchen, doing prep, making stuff with the kids to make it fun... all things I can do to help me accomplish this goal. I did receive the Whole Life Nutrition cookbook for Christmas - I have cooked from it before (had it for a few months) and absolutely loved it. I am excited to have it - every recipe is top notch and delicious and they are all dairy, egg, and gluten free.
I also need to get back on my supplements to feel better mentally. Taking Barlean's Total Omegas really help me in conjunction with a good B Complex... keeps me sane and my stress and anxiety levels down. I like Vitamin Code's Raw B Complex. I am going to have to research something to balance my hormones other than jumping right into natural progesterone cream... but that may have to do it. After weaning Noah a few months back, I felt like a mad woman once my cycle resumed!! But I feel a bit better over the last few weeks... my skin seems to have calmed down a bit too (and not because of the oil cleansing method, either...). I also want to bring back more raw greens or greens supplements overall into our diets. My goal here is CONSISTENCY in this over the year. I have the knowledge, I just need to apply it.
Being outside is something I need... my soul craves it. I need to do that more. Sometimes I realize that a hike will change my whole perspective, and I have access to great trails here in the metro Atlanta area that are just fine for one or two hour hike. I need to get up and go and take Shiloh with me, plan picnics and time laying in the grass just letting them run free and play. I need to be intentional with planning and make it happen. I want my kids to love the outdoors as much as we do. I know it will come naturally to them, we just need to expose them to it more.
Something else I've thought of... while Shiloh is in preschool, I may do the ascent/descent of Kennesaw Mountain a few times a week to get in shape for Spring and Summer... That's my kind of exercise program :) I hate gyms. Ugh! I may sign up to do another half marathon with my Mom (to walk one with her, since she had foot trouble last year and couldn't do the Nashville one with us... and maybe I'll run it some...)... always a good motivator.
I'd also like to get back into rock climbing... even if just a little bit here and there, no pressure, just get out and get the kids out for a little bouldering here and there. I always loved it, and have been missing it lately. A good hard day at Boat Rock would do me good, I think.
![]() |
| Jason shows off his guns at Boat Rock (Mantle in the Sky I think?) |
![]() |
| Me leading Lichen This at Sandrock waaaaaaay back. |
I want to be more in community with the people I know and have known and love, and be at peace with them, and be in love with them, and cook for them, and grow in faith with them... I want to do that more.
I want to go to the beach this year.
I want more date nights and date days and stuff like that with my man, where we feel like a "me and you" more than an us. I want a night or two away with him alone.
So for now, that's what I aspire to as we proceed into the new.
How about you?
PS: top = Forever 21
bottoms = flare jeans by Guess Jeans







those all sound like great goals for the new year!! praying that 2012 will be a year of breakthrough, miracles, and new beginnings for you and your family. :) ps- i really like your shirt!
ReplyDeleteThanks Lora! :) I like my shirt too :)
ReplyDelete